Friday, May 6, 2016

The Artwork of Nature - The Sand Bubbler Crab

More great food, more leisurely strolls, and interesting conversations with strangers (including a Swede who has lived here for 19 years and was more than happy to feed my interest in his drone toy when I happened upon him during a beach walk):

But I was also fascinated by the crab-made sand artwork that I discovered along the beach.  Many multiple holes that looked like this:

I took photos -- and committed myself to learning more about the little creatures who create such wonderful sand art: the Sand Bubbler Crab. Turns out that each of these perfectly formed spheres of sand are part of the crab's way of finding sustainance in the sand while knowing where he's/she's already eaten.  It's a fascinating process and can be seen in a video here.

For my part, I continued to enjoy more amazing vistas and food: