Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Wednesday - April 27 - Arrival in KL

For those who are not famliar, Kuala Lumpur is commonly referred to as "KL" by locals and travelers, and it is the fastest growing area in SE Asia with a metro area population of 7.5 million (about the size of Dallas/Ft Worth metro area - the 4th largest metro area in the USA - behind New York, Los Angeles and Chicago).

Anyway, my flight from Tokyo was super pleasant and I actually got a few hours sleep -- and then I had another 4 hour layover in the beautiful Singapore Changi airport.  Because I had visited Singapore on my October 2015 trip, I had arranged to just transit here and caught a $29USD, hour long flight on Air Asia to KL.  Upon arrival in KL, I navigated my way to the "KLIA Ekspres" non-stop rail service to downtown ("KL Sentral") for RM49.50 (Malaysian Ringgit), which is the equivalent of about $13 USD.  Then for another RM2.50 (64 cents USD) I caught the monorail to a stop near my accommodations.  I truly love traveling by public transportation -- and not just because it is usually the cheapest option, but also because it gives me exposure to the people/culture - both travelers and locals. KL Sentral was buzzing with people/activity and I had a moment of feeling like I was Indiana Jones -- on a mission to get to my accommodations through the throngs of people amongst strange smells and language all around.

Accommodations, with advice/assistance from a friend, are super nice at Invito Hotel Suites - a completely equipped condo for the equivalent of about $42USD a night.

Here's my room and my view:


As you may imagine, I was exhausted from my long journey -- but the excitement of being here and the desire to get on local time encouraged me to head out to walk around the area -- and enjoy some Chinese food and a beer, and watch the evening light show in the pond in front of the well-known Petronas Towers


And I couldn't resist getting a photo of this display along one of the walk-ways.  The wall contained photos of all the instrument groups -- but I only wanted a photo of the Tuba -- and got the entire brass section: